The udpated 2020 Lawyer's Handbook includes amendments adopted by the North Carolina Supreme Court in September 2020. Affected sections are:
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1A, Section .0200, Membership – Annual Membership Fees
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1B, Section .0100, Discipline and Disability of Attorneys
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1D, Section .0900, Procedures for Administrative Committee
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1D, Section .2600, Certification Standards for the Immigration Law Specialty Committee
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1E, Section .0100, Regulations for Professional Corporations and Professional Limited Liability Companies Practicing Law
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1E, Section .0200, Registration of Interstate and International Law Firms
- 27 N.C.A.C. 1E, Section .0300, Rules Concerning Prepaid Legal Services Plans
Additionally, two newly adopted ethics opinions are included:
2020 Formal Ethics Opinion 3
Solo Practitioner as Witness/Litigant
Opinion rules that a solo practitioner/owner of a PLLC is not prohibited from representing the PLLC and testifying in a dispute with a former client.
2020 Formal Ethics Opinion 4
Investment in Litigation Financing
Opinion rules that a lawyer may not invest in a fund that provides litigation financing if the lawyer’s practice accepts clients who obtain litigation financing.