Skip to main content

News/AlertsView All

Costner Receives Distinguished Service Award

Lisa S. Costner received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award during a virtual presentation on January 10, 2022. The award was presented by State Bar President Darrin D. Jordan.

McGee and Phillips Receive Distinguished Service Award

Judge Linda McGee and Brooks Pierce Managing Partner Reid Phillips received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award on October 6, 2021.

Rebecca J. Britton Receives Distinguished Service Award

Rebecca J. Britton received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award on October 27, 2021, in Fayetteville, NC.

eCourts CLE Opportunity Available for Attorneys

"From Paper to Digital: The eCourts Update" provides a general update about the Judicial Branch’s eCourts initiative to modernize our court system with the latest technologies, as well as an overview of the two ways that will be available for eFiling - eCourts File and Serve and Guide and File.

North Carolina State Bar Statement on the Gregory Newman Matter

On November 12-13, 2020, the Disciplinary Hearing Commission held a disciplinary hearing to decide whether Gregory Newman engaged in professional misconduct.

Alert: Increase in Wire Fraud Activity

There is a significant increase in instances of wire fraud affecting lawyer trust accounts in closings of residential real estate sales and mortgage refinancings.

COVID 19 Update: Mental Health Resources for Lawyers

There are resources available to help lawyers weather the storm of this pandemic and build resilience in the process.

Professional Responsibility in a Pandemic

State Bar issues ethics guidance on COVID-19’s impact on lawyer professional responsibility, including working remotely, using online services, and video conferencing.

COVID-19 and Related Practice Concerns for Real Property Closings and Notarization of Documents

State Bar issues ethics advisory on lawyer’s professional responsibility regarding remote notarial acts and disbursing real estate closing funds prior to recording.

Upcoming EventsView All

There are currently no events scheduled.

Disciplinary Forms

Complaint Form

To file a complaint against a NC lawyer, complete this form and submit it via mail or email to

If you are a complainant, you can request information about the status of a grievance at

¿Habla español? Haga clic aquí.

Unauthorized Practice of Law Complaint Form

To file an unauthorized practice complaint form, complete this form and submit it via mail or email to

¿Habla español? Haga clic aquí.

Fee Dispute Resolution Form

If you have a fee dispute with your lawyer, you may wish to participate in the State Bar's Fee Dispute Resolution Program, which is available free of charge to clients who dispute their legal fees. 

For more information about fee dispute resolution, click here.

To fill out a complaint form, click here and submit via mail or email to

¿Habla español? Haga clic aquí.

*Forms are required to open in Acrobat Reader to submit electronically. Please do not open the PDF in the browser. Get Acrobat Reader here: