Job Title: Administrative assistant
Department: Interest on Lawyers’ Trust Accounts (IOLTA)
Immediate Supervisor: Finance director & operations manager
Positions Supervised: None
Purpose of the Job: Provides primary administrative support to the IOLTA Department.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
IOLTA Accounts and Attorney Data:
- Maintain information regarding banks, firms, and trust accounts in the IOLTA database including information about the bank’s compliance with interest rate comparability and bank contact information;
- Enter and balance bank reports in IOLTA database, including all follow-up procedures regarding new and closed accounts, accounts not remitting, and banks not remitting;
- Work with attorneys, settlement agents, and banks to establish new accounts, to answer questions about IOLTA, and to resolve problems with accounts;
- Maintain files for bank remittance reports and Information Update forms;
- Maintain electronic records regarding mandatory IOLTA certification and IOLTA status in the State Bar’s membership database, including following up with attorneys as necessary;
- Track IOLTA accounts associated with suspended, disbarred, and deceased attorneys;
- Process information requests regarding IOLTA accounts from NCSB staff pursuant to audits conducted by the State Bar’s Random Audit program and investigations of grievances;
- Coordinate with director of communications to update NC IOLTA website with bank-related information and forms.
- Make arrangements for meetings of the IOLTA Board and their committees to include the logistics planning and the organization and distribution of materials;
- Maintain financial files and assist with financial reporting;
- Update materials in the IOLTA Board Handbook on an annual basis;
- Provide administrative support to the program manager for grant-related administrative tasks including grantee award notifications and agreements.
General Office Duties:
- Perform receptionist duties for the IOLTA Department;
- Open and distribute IOLTA mail;
- Order and inventory office supplies;
- Provide back-up receptionist support to the State Bar on a rotating basis.
Perform other assigned duties as required for the administration of the IOLTA Program.
Accountability and Authority:
The IOLTA administrative assistant reports to and is directly supervised by the finance director & operations manager of the IOLTA Program. The administrative assistant is responsible for accurate and timely processing of all job responsibilities.
Desired Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Commitment to the organization’s mission
- College degree or equivalent professional experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and experience using databases
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated with ability to follow through and manage multiple assignments
- Satisfactory background and credit check
- Position is non-exempt in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday – Friday, one-hour lunch break
- Overtime: occasional, paid or compensatory
- Travel: seldom
- Job location: on site with opportunity for limited remote work after an initial training period.
For Questions About This Position: Please email Mary Irvine, IOLTA executive director.
The North Carolina State Bar is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the right to alter this job description at any time without notice.